Meets on the first Thursday of each month (unless otherwise stated) 8-9.30pm at Joyce Bell Burnell Room (JBB), Murray Edwards College (formerly New College), Huntingdon Rd, Cambridge, CB3 0DF. There is safe and free car parking and there are bike racks by the main entrance. The room is opposite the Porter’s Office next to the main entrance.
A bit of info about the meetings. We generally chat about our recent experiences and feelings but primarily we are there to support one another and where possible to pass on any knowledge or advice from our many years of experience (!) - not only the overt symptoms of stammering (the lack of fluency) but also the covert side which involves everything from embarrassment to a lack of confidence in our social or professional lives. I also try to theme each meeting with a different person within the group or an invited guest giving a presentation on a different topic associated with stammering, any courses they have recently attended, or any aids which can benefit people who stammer.
The main aims of the group are therefore as follows:
- To provide support to fellow stammerers.
- To provide an opportunity for people who stammer to meet and talk socially.
- To provide a non-judgemental environment where one is allowed to stammer freely.
- To provide an opportunity to practice speech techniques of one's choice.
- To provide opportunities for individuals to reflect on their past month in terms of speech and associated feelings.
- And last, but not least, to have fun!
Last updated: April 2017
- More than 200 people with a stammer helped by Cambridge support group since launching 10 years ago - Cambridge News, March 2017