Adult therapy and courses

Finding a qualified speech and language therapist

There are three ways in which you can see a qualified speech and language therapist:

  • under the NHS,
  • by taking part in a course at City Lit in London, an adult education centre with a specialist speech and language therapy department, or
  • privately.

NHS speech and language therapy

Speech therapy is available free under the NHS and in most areas you can refer yourself, without having to see your GP first. You may be offered individual therapy, group therapy or both. Unfortunately, due to funding constraints, the service isn't available in all areas.

BSA can give you local contact details so that you can enquire about what is available in your area: contact our Information and Support Service. If possible, it is best to see a therapist who specialises in stammering. If your local NHS Trust doesn't have a service for adults, or doesn't have a stammering specialist, it is worth asking if you can be referred to a neighbouring Trust or to City Lit.

City Lit, London

City Lit is a college of adult education in Covent Garden, central London, that has provided a service for people who stammer for over 40 years. Intensive courses, workshops and evening classes are offered throughout term-time. You can book a free advisory session with a speech and language therapist. See City Lit.

Stammering Support Centre, in Leeds

Opened in April 2011, this Centre offers highly specialist speech and language therapy assessment and support for children, young people and adults who stammer. See Stammering Support Centre.

Private speech and language therapy

Qualified therapists who work in the private sector see clients individually. Most are members of the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP) - check on their website or contact them to see if there is a therapist near you. It is important to see a therapist with experience of working with stammering, as many private therapists do not work with this condition. The fee for an initial assessment is likely to be in the region of £85 to £120. On-going therapy sessions are likely to be in the region of £50 to £70 per session.

Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice
Tel: 01494 488306
The website contains a searchable database of therapists which you can use to find information about the therapists who are nearest to you and the type of clients that they see. Use the 'Advanced search' to find a therapist with expertise in stammering.