Our Employers Stammering Network (ESN) enables employers to receive information, support and advice on how to recruit and support people who stammer. ESN website: www.stammering.org/esn
What is the Employers Stammering Network? (ESN)
The Employers Stammering Network is a group of employers committed to creating a culture where people who stammer can achieve their full career potential. Existing members employ 1.5 million people. Employees who stammer play a leading role in the Network.
In the past, I wouldn’t have participated as I do now, delivering training, interviews, leading meetings and speaking to large groups
Why have a network?
A culture of diversity and inclusion benefits employers, who need to attract and retain the best people. Happy employees feel valued and motivated, stay longer, use their talents to the full and are more productive.
In many workplaces there is little understanding or awareness of the issues that affect the 500,000 adults in the UK who stammer. People may not even realise that a colleague stammers, as s/he may go to great lengths to hide it.
People who stammer often have qualities that employers rate highly, such as resilience, empathy, listening skills and creativity. Yet research says a huge stigma surrounds stammering and discrimination is commonplace.
ESN is here to change this. It is the first Network of its kind in the world. Focussed on both employers and employees, with a high return on investment for both, we ensure that people who stammer are part of the wider movement to support diversity and inclusion in the workforce.
As an employer, we are proud of our employees who have come forward since we joined the Network and are now prepared to speak out
We achieve this through:
- Increasing awareness and understanding of stammering, making it possible to speak openly about it
- Helping members develop and lead internal networks and activities, to support cultural change and build confidence among employees who stammer
- Strengthening and developing partnerships between and beyond our members
- Sharing learning and practice and providing mutual member support.
Our members demonstrate that it’s OK to stammer at work.
Who are we?
The Employers Stammering Network has partner members and members across the public and private sectors. The British Stammering Association co-ordinates the Network and now employs a part-time ESN Manager.
What do we offer members?
Information, advice and PR resources
- Briefings and information packs on stammering and communication at work
- Dedicated information and advice service
- Dedicated web pages www.stammering.org/esn
- Closed social media group
- Regular e-newsletters
- Template campaign posters to raise awareness and interest
- High-profile networking events for member organisations
- In-house talks and presentations about stammering and work
- Social activities
Training and other support
- Ground-breaking workshops (at extra cost) for people who stammer and for HR, recruitment, diversity & inclusion, line and counselling managers
- Individual support for employees who stammer
- Access to peer networks for informal support.
For more information please contact:
Jane Powell Chief Executive BSA
T: 020 8983 1003